Tuesday 8 March 2011

Eclipse

Werewolves are the sworn enemy of Vampires? This complicates things when your best friend is a werewolf and your boyfriend is a vampire. It also complicates things when your best friend loves you and is under the illusion that you also love him. And when your vampire family thinks werewolves are extremely dangerous to be around (can they hear themselves?) it drives you to extreme measures to visit said best friend. By the way, grounded for the rest of my life and Edward has visiting hours. Charlie also spends most of his time either ignoring Edward or sending glares from across the room. Oh and did I mention the crazed vampire girlfriend bent on revenge who has been hunting me since last year?

This is how Eclipse starts. It is the most frustrating and comical book of the series. It holds the love hate relationship status with me. You love it because it makes you laugh but at the same time it frustrates you so much you want to fling it across the room every other chapter. Or at least reach into the book and strangle certain characters.  It rotates between Edward and Jacob, and I don’t envy Bella. Edward is back. There are rules now, but he’s back and he says he’s never going away. This makes me very happy. But Edward says Bella can’t visit Jacob. Stupid Edward. Jacob is in pain, he needs Bella. Sometimes I felt bad for Edward but mostly I felt bad for Jacob, because like Bella I know it’s always Edward and it will always BE Edward. No matter how much Bella loves Jacob or how much it hurts, Bella can’t live without Edward. But the thing that makes this whole complicated mess even more complicated is that Edward left and Jacob is the result. Bella can’t live without Jacob either.

I think I would describe Edward like air and Jacob like food. Because Bella can go a few days or a week without Jacob, but she can barely go a few hours without Edward. It’s ever the conundrum, because you can’t survive without either but in her case, neither is compatible. Meanwhile crazy vampire girlfriend bent on revenge, Victoria, has dropped off the map. No one seems very suspicious but I am. She hardly seems like the type of person to just give up. And to make matters even worse there is some crazy serial killer murdering people in Seattle. If I was in the story, I probably wouldn’t think anything of it, but I’m the reader and I have insight. I’m suspicious. Turns out I’m right. And of all people to realise it, it’s Bella. Why would you build a giant army of newborn vampires to kill a human? That’s easy, because that human is guarded by 7 other vampires. And don’t forget the werewolves. If you don’t give them a piece of the action they’ll whine.

This ending was difficult. It wasn’t happy like the other ones. It’s never happy when you know your decision is going to break someone’s heart. And even though it tears that hole in your chest wide open, the decision has to be made. Edward or Jacob? 

No comments:

Post a Comment