Thursday 3 March 2011

New Moon

They survived the summer and the gossip which surrounds Bella and Edward seems to have dissipated a bit. Which would seem fine except one thing, she is officially one year older than Edward… in human years at least. Why is this such a big deal? Well when you’re as prone to death as Bella is, it’s a little hard not to be worried (we are all worried). This is where we hit the proverbial wall. You see when you get a paper cut in a room full of Vampires chaos is sure to ensue. Edward doesn’t explain his distance, but Bella is definitely worried. And then it happens. I can’t be exactly sure how I lost a piece of myself when Edward left, but I spent a long time being severely depressed after that. I spent most of this book being depressed. If you think the next months of Bella’s life will be chronicled, as I did, you are mistaken. The next four months are blank pages. The only thing that kept me going was that Edward might come back. The only thing that kept Bella going was Forks itself; was the empty table where the Cullen’s used to sit and the faint hope that Edward was real. Because when you’re in love with a Vampire, how can you be sure he really exists if you leave the only place with tangible proof.

Enter Jacob. My depression subsides slightly. The once secondary character of Jacob has now become a very prominent and important character. When Bella is with Jacob she feels like maybe the holes in her heart are a bit more patched up. So do I. She doesn’t need to clutch her chest and will the pain away anymore. Bella also finds something; when she is in danger she hears voices… well, one voice… Edward’s voice. I don’t know if you could call this an addiction, but Bella becomes very into the extreme sports. I wholeheartedly agree. I need his voice too. And Jacob being the young and impressionable teenager is all for hiding motorcycles. Bella becomes a little happy, but is still searching for her tangible proof that Edward existed with her; that a piece of him remains in this place. This is where Jacob leaves. And my depression comes back with a vengeance. When Bella confronts Jacob everything from everything comes down, I sobbed. I read that Bella sobbed and I sobbed with her. I called my mom who told me that I needed to keep reading, so I trekked on, now more depressed than ever.

This is when Bella finds the meadow. It’s tragic. It’s not spring, there are no flowers it’s just overgrown and dying. This is where she learns of Victoria’s plan. And now there is no one. No Edward, no Jacob, for one who is so prone to death in this desolate land that is Forks, there is now no one to turn to except fear. Fear that one night Victoria will come through that window and Bella will die. I keep hoping Edward will come back, but he doesn’t.

This book is extremely overshadowed by the tale of Romeo and Juliet. Of course Bella is Juliet, Edward would be Romeo and she thinks of Jacob as Paris. It all comes together when Bella decides she needs to hear “his” voice again, and what better way than to jump off a cliff. Perfectly legal, the kids do it all the time, it’s called Cliff Diving. I call it psycho, but if I was as desperate as she was I probably wouldn’t argue. It works. She almost die’s, it’s comforting; Jacob saves her life.

Enter Alice. Bella who is supposed to be dead is somehow alive, however Edward has been told she is dead, and no one bets against Alice. This is why I say Romeo and Juliet. But this can’t be how the story ends. What a terrible love story, very cliché. Now it is a race against time? I’m thinking how the hell can they make it all the way to Italy before Edward dies? Of course this is a book, and whatever the writer wills, happens. It all makes sense at least. This is where I really fell in love with Alice, and we both fell in love with the Porsche 911 Turbo, yellow. *Dreamy eyes* … *cough* … I remember my heart beating like this, in suspense, knowing that he can’t die but at the same time having no idea how it all will end. I think I envisioned her running through the square in slow motion. How could it not all be happening in slow motion? The hands moving towards noon, the sun shining brighter than ever before, Bella pushing through the biggest crowd of people probably in the history of great suspense. Why is everything so loud? The clock starts to chime, DING… DING… drowning out her cries, until finally she crashes into him; is it over? Are they dead? Are they alive? Did it work? And then you breathe that sigh of relief. As they depart Italy it doesn’t matter what happens because Edward is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment