Thursday 13 September 2012

Crank - Ellen Hopkins


I liked this book, even though I found it a little disturbing at times. In case you don’t know, because I didn’t, Crank is a low grade Meth, cheaper and less pure than crystal. I found this book a little scary because the girl could be anyone. It could be you, me, my neighbour, the story was real. Working in a hospital I see what drugs can do to a person and you always wonder why and how. This book gives an example of how an ordinary teenager can get sucked in. It made this book very sad, seeing who she was and what she became. I know its fiction, but I just wanted to hop into the book and help her. It’s the 1st book in a trilogy, but I doubt I’ll read the other two, mainly because I like happy endings, and this one doesn’t seem very happy. How Meth can destroy a person and the damage they leave in its wake. 

What I really loved was the writing style. There are no chapters; everything is poems. I’ve never read anything like it and it was a nice change. I would think it might be hard to convey an actual story in poem form but Ellen Hopkins does it so fluidly, expressing just the right words to portray any emotion. If you are interested in reading different writing styles and don’t mind a bit of a sad story I definitely recommend it. It was a real eye opener for me since I am so green on the subject. Can’t remember what I gave it on good reads but I would rate it a solid 4.5/5 at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment